The US House of Representatives approved a bill to abolish and replace Obamacare, the health care reform wanted by Barack Obama. For the Republicans and President Donald Trump, it is an important victory which allows them for keeping their electoral promises. The act repealing and replacing Obamacare was approved by an undisputed majority of 217 votes in favour versus 213.
« Obamacare was a catastrophe, now it’s dead. » said Donald Trump. « It is a great plan and I am confident that it will pass through the Senate, » said the American President who got together with all the Republican members of the House of Representatives in the White House Rose Garden.
What is Obamacare? In 2010, President Barack Obama approved the law on US healthcare reform, called Obamacare. The passing of the reform was a historic moment for the country, as the US healthcare system is predominantly private and Obamacare tried to expand the coverage offered to citizens. This reform stated:
- Over 32 million citizens protected by the health care system;
- A decrease of health care expenditures;
- The ban, for insurance companies, on denying insurance to those who had certain diseases;
- A decrease of the personal bankruptcies number;
- More significant tax incentives to buy health insurance;
- That employers with more than 50 employees have to contribute to their employees’ expenses (relating to the purchase of insurance);
- That Medicaid coverage – the only public health program along with Medicare – is expanded.
The announcement of the results was greeted by an ovation from the Republican elected officials. However, the debate is now moving to the Senate, where the Obamacare repealing is considered unacceptable even by several Republican senators.
Maria Elena Argano
En savoir plus :email@example.com